From Space to Drones: a synergy for Earth Observation
Earth is our home. Though it’s a massive one, that could take ages to explore without the current technology we possess.
But what technology do we exactly use to monitor and observe Earth from one end to another?
In this course, ways of observing Earth and their synergies will be analyzed, from drones to the bigger outer space drones we call satellites!
Should we mention what Chania has to offer as well?
Do you really want to miss the chance to enjoy the warmth of the Greek sun and get lost in the infinite blue of the Mediterranean sea?
If not, we are waiting for you in one of the most beautiful and picturesque cities of Greece!
We will give you an advice,
apply now for Paradise!
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Rural and Surveying Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Space technology in terms of products and services increasingly supports everyday applications from user to Earth level. Accordingly, Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV or systems UAS) community has recently shown considerable growth, gradually embracing a wide range of applications. In order to migrate to the next generation of UAVs we need to deliver on demand, on-board, collaborative or autonomous functions, towards an intelligent UAV network transforming UAVs into decision operational systems. Yet, UAVs cannot be exclusively examined without the consideration of satellite Earth Observation (EO). Remote sensing satellites and micro-satellites provide multispectral images in varying temporal and spatial scales. Consequently, it is imperative to study the capabilities of Space and UAV systems in order to establish a holistic Earth Observation ecosystem. Through this seminar the above mentioned synergies will be examined, while research specifics will be delivered in order to acquire a strong basis for understanding the future of Earth observation under an application perspective. Applications refer to earth sciences, environmental monitoring, biodiversity, natural disasters, energy, trade, health, agriculture, cultural heritage, social sciences. The course will introduce satellite GNSS and Remote Sensing technologies along with unmanned systems (aerial, land, underwater) in terms of basic components, design, construction, implementation, programming..
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The main goal of this course is to introduce the basics of Space and UAV technologies for everyday applications, spanning from the Earth system to the individual citizen. Therefore, the basic objectives to be reached include: Introduce satellite systems including Remote Sensing and GNSS. Introduce Unmanned Aerial Systems from the design phase to implementation. Introduce the basics of UAS autonomy, navigation, on-board and real-time processing, swarm intelligence. Present a series of applications including Location based services, mapping, monitoring, etc.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, Answer to questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Dorms or Organizers' Houses
- University's Restaurant (breakfast and two meals per day, at least one of them hot and cooked)
- Public Transportation, Organizers' cars, On foot