Science Behind the Ocean
Have you ever wondered about the mysteries hidden behind the ocean? Do you want to discover all the newest robots and gadgets available for maritime exploration? Do you want to get some action in the lab and sustainably explore marine biotechnology? Then, don’t waste any more time: get your BEST Pirates of the Caribbean spirit and unveil the mysteries of the ocean with us!
Throughout this course, you will get the opportunity to discover more about the ocean and the sustainable use of its resources. Learn more about the different technologies that are being developed to empower maritime exploration and become aware of the different ways sea life is able to help humans in the biotechnology field! And what place could be better to study the ocean than the beautiful city of Porto? We Portuguese people usually say that we discovered the world through the sea (although we generally fail to mention that the world was already there for a long time before we “found” it), so don’t miss this opportunity! We can guarantee an excellent teaching staff, an appealing academic program, receptive organizers and some (maybe beach related) surprises you won’t want to miss!
In this 10-day experience, you will also be able to enjoy our city and culture to its full extent! Either in the ocean or on land, we invite you to explore the 'Cidade Invicta' with us and enjoy our amazing weather and stunning, super sunny beaches! We can promise you that you’ll have an incredibly fun week and meet new friends from all over Europe while getting the opportunity to taste our delicious Francesinha and Port Wine. However, we should warn you: Porto is known to be (one of) the most welcoming cities in Portugal, so the odds that you end up not wanting to leave forever are incredibly high. Are you willing to take the risk?
Why wait when you can apply right now? Don’t lose the BEST week of your life!
- Fields of activity:
- Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Applied Sciences , Maritime Management , Chemical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Mechatronics , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering
- Content and topics:
- The participants will gain insight into maritime technology and marine biotechnology, namely in the context of conscious maritime exploration. They will have the opportunity to attend several lectures and participate in field trips and/or company visits.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Acquiring multidisciplinary knowledge on the different ways the ocean can contribute to scientific and technological development as well as getting contact with enterprises and corporations that contribute to the sustainable exploration of the ocean’s resources.
- Examination type:
- Case Study or Project.
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter (interest in the topic, city, and willingness to have fun and meet new people) and answers to the questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Participants will be hosted in a Hostel or University Residence.
- 3 meals per day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and drinkable water will be provided at no extra cost. At least one meal per day will be served hot.
- Public transportation or by foot. Transportation costs to the arrival place and from the departure place will not be covered by the organising LBG.