Size does matter, discover micro and nano technologies
Size does matter, discover nano and micro technologies is an introducion course to the different applications that exist in micro and nano technology. We will give lectures, laboratory class and company visits to give you a real impression whats behind the magic words of micro and nano. Of course you will also see and learn a lot of Belgium: a small but very particular country.
- Content and topics:
- The lectures will show how devices like sensors and actuators are made up, at the micron and nano scale, and detail what are the main gains of miniaturization. It will be given the main existing and prospective applications resulting from micro- and nanotechnologies in the fields of aerospace, biomedical, automotive and energy sectors. The packaging and reliability assessments will be covered as well. Several experiments will be run in the clean-rooms of UCL and around: understanding the principles of thin-film coatings on substrates, lithographic patterning, etching techniques, characterization by optical means (ellipsometry, interferometry). During the course, students will be encouraged to design and fabricate on their own idea a basic operating miniaturized device and test it !
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Learn what the different technologies in micro and nano tehcnologie. Learn their application field...
- Examination type:
- Writen exam, open book
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- All students interested in the topic. We are trying to have a mixed group with different personalities and nationalities. Your motivation letter should be MAX 1 page. If you don't know how to start you CAN use this structure: tell about yourself, your studies, your interest in the topic/course. Just make it an original and funny letter! Don't forget the custom questions! Good luck!
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dorm rooms
- good food - student restaurant and cooked by ourselves - vegetarian food is no problemo
- train, bus, car, feet, space shuttle (not yet confirmed)