Energised by the Sea... The Tidal Power
SEA - Everyone fears and respect it because of its natural power. Yet until today few systems actually took advantage of its huge energetic potential.
We are talking about not taking advantage of a huge energy source. For years we had been wasting the energy of 1.3 million of cubic kilometers of water moving all around the world. When we talk in sea energy, we are talking about the energy due to the motion of large bodies of water.
Here in Faro, in a more or less controlled environment, we have 68 million liters of water crossing a 200 meter width inlet every day. Not only we want to use this energy, WE NEED it! And you can be the bright Einstein to provide the solution!!!
Either using kinetic energy, potential energy or even both, there is a lot to explore in which ways can we use the energy of tides, an economical and environmental under-rated renewable-energy source.
Come see what we are talking about while enjoying our amazing summer weather, beautiful beaches, ancient history, magnificent sunsets, delicious cuisine and of course the BEST parties as well. In return, what we ask is for you to get familiar with the problem, study the tidal system and the up-to-date technologies of taking advantage of this kind of energy and finally to think in what can we do to stop wasting 68 million liters of energy every day...
Are you up to the challenge? Just think about it!!!
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering
- Content and topics:
- - Barrier Island System Dynamics; - Tidal flow/cycles; - Inlet flow systems; - Sediment Transport and beach topography; - Renewable Energies; - Fluid dynamichs; - Mechanical equipment to generate and convert tidal energy.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The main goal will be the creation of new ideas to allow the conversion of tidal power into some sort of usable energy. The student learning goals should be - Beach and lagoon dynamics; - Flow cycles; - Renewable energy; - Tidal power conversion into potential and electric energy.
- Examination type:
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and 3 free answer questions.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University residence.
- University canteen and food cooked by the organisers.
- Public transportation and your own feet.