Coimbra International Engineering Forum
CIEF is an engineering forum held in Coimbra, which aims to encourage University of Coimbra to connect with students from different cultures by joining them in teams, to solve a worldwide problem related with environmental, humanitarian or social challenges. Moreover, there are several talks regarding these topics with renowned guests which will share their knowledge and experiences. Finally, there is a fair and a networking session to showcase technological advances in the field as well as revolutionary products that change our daily lives.
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Biology , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Food Engineering , Industrial Management , Materials Engineering , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Pharmacy , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Textile Engineering & Technology
- Content and topics:
- The event is divided into 3 main activities: - The Competition, which is the main component. Its goal is to solve a case study on environmental, humanitarian or social crisis that the world is facing. Participants will be sorted in teams of 3 or 4 members where they have to choose which problem they want to take care of. Once they are divided into teams, they will be followed by professionals, such as teachers and company representatives. - Talks and workshops. Talks will occur during the opening and the second day. We want to bring influential people to take part in the event. These lectures aim to motivate attendees, to provide different perspectives and to show projects that are being developed around the world and that have a positive impact on it. Workshops will occur during the competition and in the first days of the event, so participants can have more tools to solve the case study(ies) and improve the ability to work together as a group. - Networking session. There will occur a networking session which will gather participants, company representatives and influential people. This session goal is to provide sufficient knowledge and inspiration to the participants that can help in developing their ideas and solutions with an inside view of some of our sponsor’s projects. This will be an excellent opportunity to share contacts within the business world and the fields of interest.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Having in mind CIEF’s purpose, the goal for each team is to produce a reliable solution for one of the presented case studies. Once the event ends, it is expected that companies work together with their respective winning teams so that, together, they can apply the team’s solution on a daily basis and help solving a global crisis. Apart from that, participants will gather knowledge about environment, entrepreneurship, team dynamics, humanitarian and social crises around the world, smart technologies and how to use them for this type of problems.
- Examination type:
- oral presentation in pitch format
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Participants will be chosen through motivation letters and their answers to our questions
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms provided by the organisers
- at least 3 meals per day is provided by the organisers
- City bus (provided by the organisers) and by foot