The Architecture of a Festival
Hello young soul, have you ever been to a big music festival and wondered how they designed everything, and how it was raised from scratch? Then you are the right person!
Join us in the Heart of Transylvania, the beautiful city of Cluj-Napoca, where 2 of the greatest festivals of Europe take place every year. You have the opportunity to step on the birth stage of a music festival, your very own music festival. Join us in designing every single element of your dream festival, and make it the perfect one. Discover your inner festival architect by joining this summer course!
What will you learn?
The urbanistic approach - experience of how a festival is integrated in the existing surroundings, and its connection to the city; how it is accessed by the public, and its functional organisation in order to produce a better usage.
The technology used to offer the music experience, recreation, temporary constructions and light - all put together.
The conceptual approach - the important role of creativity in response to the scenographic and senzorial needs through different types of installations, micro-architectures which produce a dialog with the location and with the people.
The personal experience of the people involved, from stuff to volunteers.
How to organize your own festival from scratch working together as a team, with real like roles and responsibilities.
Why to apply?
You have the possibility to see the European Youth Capital of 2015;
Meet new fun people, create new friendships;
Discover every historical and architectural aspect of the old and modern city of Cluj-Napoca;
Gain new perspectives for the future.
- Fields of activity:
- Architectural Engineering , Architecture
- Content and topics:
- -urban architecture -parametric architecture -landscape architecture -light and sound engineering -presentation skills -team organizing
- Learning goals and objectives:
- As music festivals started to grow larger and larger, simply "planting" a big stage in the middle off a field won't work as well as it did in '69. Music festivals are temporary cities, which need architects make them look, sound and work well. The goal of this course is to teach you the basic architectural elements of a music festival and how to combine them so you can create your own music festival.
- Examination type:
- Final project presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, answers to the questions and interest in the topic
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student's dormitory
- Three meals per day: breakfast in dormitory and 2 hot meals
- Public transport