BEST UX - User Experience and Intercultural Design
Good user experience has become one of the most defining factors for successful products. During the last decade concept of user experience (UX) has broadened the scope of HCI field from usability to more holistic understanding of human-computer-interaction. That is from designing effective products with maximum efficiency to designing products that can evoke pleasant emotions, give pleasure and enable self-expression. For example companies like Apple and Nokia have had focus on users and user experience for a while and have launched success-products that meet the high demands of modern-day consumers.
The world has "shrinked" hand in hand with fast technological development. Internet can be accessed practically anywhere, same products can be found whether you are walking on the streets of Lima, Peru or strolling along the main street (Hämeenkatu) of Tampere, Finland. How can we design products that are useful for users around the world who have different background, language, religion, culture etc.?
In this BEST course you will learn what kind of a factors influence UX, few ways for analyzing UX of a product, some design principles for globalized products and gain understanding on different cultures.
Furthermore, you will explore Tampere and the surroundings, experience sauna, long Finnish summer nights and have the full experience of student life in the greatest student town in Finland.
- Content and topics:
- User experience and Cross-cultural design
- Learning goals and objectives:
- After the course students have a basic understanding of what user experience (UX) is and what are the factors influencing UX. Students have basic knowledge of how to take culture into account when designing global products. Students can implement a small scale UX study and present results of the study.
- Examination type:
- Group research and presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Previous studies and open motivation letter
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student hostel (3 big rooms)
- Breakfast in the dormitory - Lunch in the canteen - Dinner in the dormitory/restaurant/barbeque
- Public transportation when needed