ESPO 2015: The Excellence of Sicilian Products and their Origin
Have you ever wondered what the taste of the perfect food and wine is? Do you know what La dolce vita means? If not, but we triggered your curiosity, keep reading... ;) Come to Messina, the city lying on the Strait of Messina that Goethe described as "the land of lemons in flower where the golden oranges glow among the dark leaves", the heart of Mediterranean Sea, where the summer is longer, the weather is hotter and the people are awesome!
In 2015, EXPO Milan is dedicated to the theme of food, there is a great attention to the problems of nutrition and the resources of our planet. The main idea of organising the Autumn Course in Sicily is to introduce you the knowledge of typical Sicilian food, wine and oils, important constituents of the Mediterranean diet, and rich of components with a possible beneficial effect on health. Our course will be introduced there, during EXPO... how cool is that :P?
Along with the academical part, you will also have the possibility to spend some time in a holiday site where white sandy beaches, blue sea and picturesque mountains are in syntony with young local habits and funny Sicilian dialect :) Parties will not be less, good food, games and music will be played all night long!
A spectacular view is waiting for you at about two thousand meters above sea level enjoying some breath-taking landscapes on Etna and the Strait of Messina... haven't we met your wishes yet?!? No problem! How to resist the irreplaceable Sicilian dishes cook inside an old Fortress?
BE READY, THE MOST DELICIOUS AUTUMN COURSE IS AT THE DOOR! Dont hesitate to click Apply and meet us! It will be the time of your life! Are you brave enough?
- Fields of activity:
- Agronomics/Forestry , Applied Sciences , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Food Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Medicine/Dental Medicine , Pharmacy
- Content and topics:
- For each analysed product, different aspects will be taken into consideration: production, chemical composition, with attention to constituents with possible beneficial effects on health (polyphenols and other antioxidants, omega-3 fatty acids, vitamins, minerals), nutritional value and healthy aspects, use as food and beverage.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- This course will introduce to the methods and production concepts of some Sicilian famous products, evidencing also the health trends in Mediterranean diet and the main benefits.
- Examination type:
- Written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- The participants will be selected by their interest about the topic of the course and their motivation.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University Dormitory with single rooms, all equipped with air conditioning, fridge and bathroom.
- University canteen and provided by organisers. Three meals, at least one hot meal a day.
- Public transport and private cars, according to the needs