Let's heat it up! Geothermal energy in action.
In a world filled with constant fear of global warming, the race to find renewable energy resources is at its peak. One of these sources is right under our feet, with it's origin at the core of our planet! The topic of this course will be this resource: Geothermal energy. For many years it has been a major energy source in Iceland as is evident from the following:
- In Iceland geothermal energy provides about 66% of primary energy.
- About 85% of houses in Iceland are heated with geothermal energy.
- Renewable energy provides 100 percent of electricity production in Iceland, with about 30 percent from geothermal power.
Come to the "land of the ice and snow with the midnight sun where the hot springs blow" and learn why geothermal energy is one of the most exciting energy sources of the future. Learn about the Icelandic experience and how the Icelandic people have made use of it it through the centuries. You can even experience it on your own by going to one of our world famous geothermal swimming pools. So, what are you waiting for? Let's heat it up and learn about geothermal energy in action.
- Fields of activity:
- Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Geology , Industrial Engineering , Industrial Management , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Mining/Mineral Resources Engineering , Petroleum Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Territory Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Geothermal energy production from the perspective of basic chemistry,geology, and engineering.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- Learn about special opportunities in renewable energy.
- Examination type:
- Final presentation or a written exam.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, answer to questions and the relevance of academic background.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Self-cooked Icelandic food.
- Bus and walking.