B.O.A.T.: Brave Or Afraid of Tides
From the ancient times, people were using boats in order to transfer their products, fight their enemies and move from place to place exploring the world! But sometimes...during their journey they were doing things against Poseidons will, getting him very mad at them. As a result, enormous waves and windstorms were coming up as a challenge for the seafarers! So far, thousands of human lives have been taken in the hands of the powerful Greek god and have been lost in the dark blue waters of the Aegean sea.
The first ship was built by wood. Nowadays steel, aluminium, several alloys and other metals and complex materials have replaced wood. Powerful engines are used instead of sails and oars. And electrical systems are used for defending the lightnings of Jupiter.
But what is the real secret of a well designed ship? How the mechanical and the electrical adequacy can be earned ? Whats this, that gives a vessel the security and the power to conquer the oceans?
The BEST Athenian team, knows the secret....and there is only one way to share it.
Visit the city of the endless amusement and the sunniest weather. Experience the craziest social activities. Discover Akropolis, the flea market, taste the BEST souvlaki and of course, enjoy the amazing waters. Reach the highest point of Athens and discover the area that the battles of the gods took place.
In other words, join the black gang,conquer tidal waves and sail with us!
- Fields of activity:
- Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Naval Architecture & Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management
- Content and topics:
- The new conquers of naval engineering focusing on the complementary systems, internal combustion engines, methods of protection from lightnings at sea, electrical propulsion systems, new regulations, stevedore etc.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The participant will be able to recognise and understand the use of all the electrical parts and the auxiliary systems(and the mechanical parts) of a ship! Also he will be informed about all the new technologies(and regulations) on the part of the propulsion systems of the vessel.
- Examination type:
- Written examination or case study/oral presentation
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and answers to the questions. Furthermore, we want to ensure cultural diversity and gender balance among the participants.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Hostel or University's dorms.
- Three meals a day, at least one of them hot. Cooked and served at the university's restaurant or by our helpful organisers.
- Public transport, walking