Ecopolis - A smart, low carbon city
Meet the bravest folks of the whole Roman Empire!
Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae! Julius Caesar said it already more than 2000 years ago.
This summer, we will prove you not only our braveness, but also our ability to brew the best beer, the beauty of our lovely cities and most important of all: our skills of developing a smart city!
Do you want to discover how we will avoid traffic jams by a more fluent traffic system?
Do you want to know how we can adjust energy generation to the real-time demand of the city and her citizens?
Do you want to learn how to use durable materials in our durable buildings?
In this multidisciplinary course, you'll explore the interesting world of "Smart Energy Cities" and low carbon engineering. We will start our energy journey on day 1 with basic energy understandings. Each day we will discover a new energy application (eco-mobility, green ICT, durable materials?) to create the mosaic, called "Smart Energy Cities"
Here, in the heart of Europe you can enjoy the best of both worlds, learning fantastic new things while having the time of your life!
During the days you will hear lectures from motivated professors, visit companies and gain victory during engineering competitions.
While at night you can discover the 3rd most beautiful city in the world (according to National Geographic Traveller), enjoy the world's greatest collection of beer and earn friendship with the best people in Europe that lasts forever!
Come to Ghent and you will see Julius Caesar was right!
Apply now and make this Summer Course legen -no need to wait for it- dary!
Hope to see you this summer!
- Fields of activity:
- Chemical Engineering , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Transport Engineering
- Content and topics:
- There are 7 steps(subtopics) on your road to victory: Electrical powernets Energy-efficiency Eco-mobility Green ICT Transportation Materials Renewable energy sources
- Learning goals and objectives:
- The goal of the course is to give the student a view on the city of the future and more in detail how it works. It will be a journey, starting with basics of energy, passing by low carbon engineering and moving into smart cities.
- Examination type:
- Presentation or written exam
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter and answers on questions. Keeping in mind a 50%-50% gender distribution, as well as a good nationality diversity.
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Student dormitory (1 person rooms), weekend in tents or something similar.
- 3 meals a day are guaranteed, of which at least 1 (to 2) hot meals. We will also let you taste some Belgian specialties. (Chocolates, beers, Belgian (!) fries,...)
- We will explore Ghent by bicycle & boat! Also the public transport system of Belgium (train/tram/bus/...) will be ours to take.