NanoTechnology: Finding Nano
This Summer Course is for people that are interested in Nanotechnology. We plan to give you a basic overview of Nanotechnology in general aswell as more directed and specific lectures on several Nano themes.
Despite all of the great academic activities we have planned, you will also have the opportunity to visit the beautiful city of Aveiro, or as it is called in Portugal, the Portuguese Venice, and the surrounding localities, such as Praia da Barra and its charming beachside. You will also attend great parties, meet amazing people and have lots of fun in the mix. Combine all this and you get the recipe for the greatest 12 days of this summer!
- Fields of activity:
- Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Materials Engineering , Mechanical Engineering , Pharmacy , Physics/Physics Engineering
- Content and topics:
- Nanotechnology encompasses several scientific fields that have in common the purpose to study materials at the nanoscale (1 nm= 10^-9 m), showing properties that depend strongly on size and surface effects, and the fabrication of devices based on those materials. Nanotechnology already has an impact in a wide number of human activities, including medicine and health care, environmental processes, hightechnology devices, among many others. This knowledge shares in large extent concepts and practices commonly found in fundamental sciences, such as Chemistry, Physics and Materials Science. During the course the participants will have the possibility to acquire knowledge through lectures by teachers and researchers in several areas of Nanotechnology, visits to the facultys research equipment, round table discussions and practical classes.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- This Summer Course aims to give a general background on important aspects related with Nanotechnology, therefore this course will approach both fundamental concepts and practical aspects related with Nanotechnology and Nanoscience. Lectures and laboratorial classes are organized to provide knowledge in this field at an introductory level but based on consolidated knowledge. The potential for innovation in this fascinating field will be highlighted namely by bridging topics that very often are considered as separated themes in conventional sciences. Examples of specific learning outcomes of this course include theoretical background underlying nanotechnological applications, chemical methods of synthesis and surface modification of nanomaterials, nanotoxicological issues, characterization/modeling tools available to study physical properties specific to the nanoscale. Alongside the discussion of the positive impact of Nanotechnology in several aspects of our lives, there will be also reference to the limitations and risks associated in the general frame of science research with ethics and responsibility.
- Examination type:
- Presentation about a nano subject.
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Interest on the topic, the city and overall creativity
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- University dorms
- 3 meals per day, at least one of them hot. Home cooked traditional portuguese food
- Transportation will be guaranteed through the University bus and vans