Advanced Optical Imaging Methods and Technologies for non-Destructive and non-Invasive Diagnosis.
Optical imaging is a rapidly emerging field, with widespread applications ranging from satellite imaging, to clinical diagnosis and molecular biology. There is currently an ongoing revolution in this field, which is led by the interdisciplinary cooperation of engineers, physicists, biologists, physicians, etc. Both academia and industry have allocated significant resources for advancing this field. Optical imaging is currently advancing the field of biophotonics by offering unprecedented visualization of the tissue microstructure and enabling quantitative mapping of disease-specific endogenous and exogenous substances. With these advances, optical imaging technologies are becoming a powerful clinical tool for non-invasive and objective diagnosis, for guided treatment and for evaluating and monitoring therapies. Recent developments in visible and infrared diffuse spectroscopy and imaging, spectral imaging, optical coherence tomography, confocal imaging, molecular imaging and dynamic spectral imaging will be presented together with laboratory hands-on practice. Their perspectives and challenges will be discussed.
Prerequisities: Basic knowledge of engineering, physics/mathematics
- Fields of activity:
- Aerospace/Aeronautical Engineering , Applied Sciences , Architectural Engineering , Automotive Engineering , Biological/Biotechnical/Gene Engineering , Biology , Biomedical Engineering , Chemical Engineering , Chemistry/Chemical Technology , Civil Engineering , Computer Engineering , Computer Science/Automatic Control/Informatics , Control Engineering/Systems engineering , Electrical/Electromechanical Engineering , Electronic/Electrotechnical Engineering , Environmental Engineering , Industrial Engineering , Machine & Instrument engineering/Design , Materials Engineering , Mathematics , Mechanical Engineering , Mechatronics , Mining/Mineral Resources Engineering , Optics/Optometry , Physics/Physics Engineering , Power Engineering , Production Engineering/Management , Telecommunications/Electronics
- Content and topics:
- Physics and engineering of scientific electronic imaging, optical spectroscopy, hyperspectral imaging, 3-D and in-depth optical imaging (OCT etc), molecular imaging, the optical biopsy concept with application in non invasive diagnosis of cervical neoplasia. Hands-on familiarization with relevant scientific equipment.
- Learning goals and objectives:
- To get acquaint with scientific electronic imaging physics and engineering, to get familiar with novel and advanced imaging modalities and instrumentation breakthroughs and to understand their diagnostic/analytical power in widespread applications with emphasis on biomedical diagnosis.
- Examination type:
- Case study
- ECTS credits issued:
- Not known yet
Information for applicants
- Selection criteria:
- Motivation letter, Satisfaction of the prerequisities
All of the following are covered by the event fee:
- Organisers' places.
- University's restaurant (breakfast and two hot meals per day)
- Bus, taxi, organisers' cars